A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, January 13, 2006

A Fabulous Show

Around the beginning of November, I came across a great television show House, M.D.. It is in its second season and I remembered seeing commercials during the first season.

The main character, Dr. Greg House, had some hilarious lines, but I never watched it. I decided to start in November. We rented the dvds of the first seaon and absolutely LOVED it.

House is a sarcastic, brilliant doctor, played to perfection by Hugh Laurie. He is a Diagnostician, with a staff of three doctors. Dr. Robert Chase is an Internist. Dr. Eric Foreman is a Neurologist. Dr. Allison Chase is an Immunologist. Dr. Wilson, played by Robert Sean Leonard, is House's best friend and the head of Oncology at the teaching hospital. Dr. Lisa Cuddy is the administrator of the hospital and her relationship with House is hilarious. She tries to keep him in line. He likes to make her mad.

House and staff have very odd cases that others cannot figure out. It is always interesting to see how they figure things out.

The best thing about the show is the brilliant writing and the brilliant character of House. He's absolutely fabulously witty and has the greatest lines. He's not what you would call PC, but he tells the truth. Oh, and House had an infarction in his thigh, so now he walks with a limp and a cane and is addicted to Vicodin.

Here are some quotes from a great episode from this season, called TB or Not TB:

Dr. Foreman: You figure that anybody that gives a crap about people in Africa must be full of it?
House: Yes. There’s an evolutionary imperative why we give a crap about our family and friends. And there’s an evolutionary imperative why we don’t give a crap about anybody else. If we loved all people indiscriminately, we couldn’t function.
Dr. Foreman: Hmmm. So, the great humanitarian’s as selfish as the rest of us.
House: Just not as honest about it.

---

Sebastian: There’s people dying in Africa of a disease that we cured over...
House: Yeah, I know. I saw the concert. Seriously, let’s say you sleep six hours, that means every night you kill 1,440 people. I guess you gotta get some sleep, but come on, if you’d stayed up another 10 minutes you could have saved 40 lives. Do you send notes to the families in the morning? That’s gonna take at least 10 minutes so that’s another 40 dead, another 40 notes…why don’t you go wrack yourself with guilt in your own room?
USA Network has begun showing re-runs of the show. The pilot was on last Friday night, but the second episode is on tonight, at 11pm, on USA. You can see when future episodes are on here.

Go watch! It is hilarious!

More here and here.