A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, October 04, 2005

That's Not Good Enough

I heard a portion of the President's little Rose Garden press conference today, but had to leave for work before it ended.

What I did hear, however, did not satisfy me.

I don't care if he's known Harriet Miers for ten years. I don't care if she was (is) his White House Counsel, etc. I don't care what she says or he says her judicial philosophy is. She's never been a judge; how can she have a judicial philosophy?

President Bush does not understand why we are upset, and that is the problem.

We gave him everything we could and got him elected, based on the fact that he promised to be a Conservative and appoint Conservatives.

What he has given us is an unknown quantity. There are many, highly qualified, excellent Conservatives that we know about, whom he could have chosen. He decided, in arrogance, to pick someone we don't know and whose views we don't know.

I don't care about "cronyism." I think people tend to pick people they know well for positions those people are well suited for.

I do think the President decided to play up to the Libs and give them a nice, moderate nominee.

We wanted, and deserved, a hard and fast Conservative. We deserve the President being willing to fight for us, as we fought for him.

Unless Harriet Miers has given the President an Unbreakable Vow (which really isn't possible), then how does he know Harriet Miers will hold the same philosophy in twenty years?

One can be sure a nominee like Scalia or Thomas would, but one cannot tell with a moderate, no opinion person like Harriet Miers appears to be.

I'm sorry, Mr. President, but that's not good enough.