A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, October 01, 2005

"Nelly, I am Heathcliff!"

Every October, for at least the last three years, I have read one of my favorite books: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

I first read it my sophomore year of high school and adored it. It seems to fit perfectly with the weather and feeling of October. I am so very excited to begin reading it.

The version I will be reading is this one.

You can read an online version here.

More information here.

There have been several film versions of the book, including a 1992 version, starring Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche.

There is also a 1939 version starring the great Sir Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff that I have yet to see, but desire to greatly.

I have so many favorite quotes and lines from the book. Last year when I read it I copied them out.

Here are a few:

'What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here? My great miserires in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning; my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a might stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.'
-page 77-78

'You are an impertinent little monkey.'
-page 87

'I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.'
-page 159

'People who do their duty are always finally rewarded.'
-page 226

'No books!' I exclaimed. 'How do you contrive to live here without them? . . . take my books away, and I should be desperate.'
-page 288
My most favorite quotes tend to be long, so I won't type them up here.

If you have never read Wuthering Heights, I highly recommend it!