A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, October 06, 2005

More from David Frum

David Frum, who wrote this editorial calling the President's nomination of Harriet Miers an "unforced error," etc., has posted samples of e-mails he has been sent about the Miers nomination.

Here are a few:

I too am very disappointed in President Bush's nomination of Harriet Miers. I have been looking forward to this appointment for many years. There are so many documented conservatives that are judges and would make excellent Supreme Court Justices. When I look at Judge Luttig's resume and compare it to hers, I get even more depressed. Some people say that we won the court seat without a battle. I was looking forward to having the debate on the Judiciary Committee so the whole country could see the shrillness and contentiousness of the Democratic Senators. Excuse me while I remove this knife in my back.

**

I could not agree more with your critiques of Mr. Bush's choice of Harriet Miers
for the Supreme Court. While ample deference should be given to any president
in the selection of his cabinet and other executive level appointments, the
Supreme Court is not part of the president's team. Of course Mr. Bush should
nominate people to the court who share his judicial philosophy, but they should
carry with them to the court a reputation for independent thinking derived from
years of intellectual struggle and contemplation. Conservative principle, not
ideology, is what the court most needs.

So, do we join George Will in not just pronouncing our disatisfaction, but call
for the rejection of the Miers nomination?

**

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I could say it all day. This nomination has made me so angry that I have been able to do nothing except blog against her nomination for the past three days. Alas, I do have a job. Keep the heat on.

**

Simple - we are asked to "trust me," once again. In fact, we've believed too many times. We believed in school vouchers; we got the Kennedy education bill. We believed in tax cuts, now under permanent threat of going back up again. We believed "you're either with us, or you're with the terrorists;" Iran and Syria continue their silent invasion of Iraq. We believed in WMD; they're still buried somewhere in Syria. We believed in limited government; we got outrageous farm subsidies, steel tariffs, an unneeded prescription drug benefit, and a bloated transportation bill. We believed his commitment to homeland security; we got ever more porous borders. We trusted his appointments; we got George Tenet, Norm Mineta and Michael Brown. Come on; are we stupid?

It's simple: nobody wants to be made a fool of once again. The trust well is dry. It's amazing he can't see it.

And poor Harriet is just the lighting rod for a 5 year gathering storm . .
Read the rest here.