A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, October 16, 2005

A Language "Contract"

We need to do something like this in the US.

Manchester Evening News: Language 'contract' call for immigrants---

LEARNING the English language should be part of a "contract" between immigrants and the state, employment minister Margaret Hodge argued today.
---
She said social segregation could be minimised if immigrants coming to Britain had to learn the language.

"When people choose to settle in this country, part of that contract needs to be the learning of English and again it is part of the rights and responsibilities.

"We have to make sure that there is good English language tuition which is easily accessible and that is not the case at the moment.

"If they don't (learn the language), it is very difficult to navigate your way through the day to day issues and to integrate.
I believe if you come to the United States for a new life, you have an obligation to learn the language we speak here, which, contrary to appearances, is English, not Spanish. I don't care if people speak their own languages in their homes and to others who speak the language, but the government's business ought to be done in English, the language of the United States.

I don't think the government should be responsible for providing or subsidizing lessons, but English must be learned.

If I move to, for example, France, I would learn to speak French. It is only good manners and a responsibility.

And if you don't want to learn English, go back to where you came from.